Wednesday, July 1, 2009

So cool!

Okay, so I started an iGoogle page and made it my homepage a few weeks ago. Would you believe all I wanted was an easily accessible calendar available when I was working on the computer...that's how it all started. Then, Mark Richardson's class, Becoming a Web 2.o Educator AND reading Will Richardson's book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Tools for Classrooms (Gee, I need to shorten that title!) got me subscribing to RSS feeds and I realized just how cool all the Google tools together on one page could be! I started by adding a box or "gadget" for a couple of blogs I wanted to keep up with. I got a little window that showed me the latest 3 or 5 or whatever number of posts as links. Cool, right? THEN I found out about Google Reader! GR is indeed a wonderful tool I am just beginning to appreciate in the world of RSS. So I put a "gadget" on my iGoogle for GR and I thought...that's a lot of info packed in the little box. What's going to happen when I actually want to read one of the posts that's linked here. I'll tell you what happens...MAGIC. Check this out:
You just click on the link and the post appears - with full links and photos! So easy! I rarely make time to do much professional reading during the school year. I feel like the day to day management of the classroom and related responsibilities keeps me more than busy enough. Maybe these tools will help me to take a few minutes to stop and read the proses... (sorry!).

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Kim! If you like iGoogle, check out Pageflakes http://www.pageflakes.com/

    Vicky M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kim. Always exciting when someone finds a tool and has an "aha" moment.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete