Sunday, April 17, 2011

So Much for THAT Idea

Yeah, looking at my last post - from 2 years ago....awesome.

Even while confronted by multiple examples and opportunities of why writing and in particular, blogging is important, I seem to have trouble getting it done. I am not a creature of habit - unless I can count bad ones. I need a schedule so I have something to deviate from...

Well, all that aside, I've come across yet more literature and another opportunity to help incentivise my writing informally on a more formal basis. In my coursework, I have been reading about how writing not only helps us to process our learning, ourselves and the world around us, it actually helps us to retell and reinvent our own stories - to ourselves, and if shared with others, them too. Such a powerful idea. Not sure if writing more is just flirting with disaster. What if I invent myself into someone worse? Have you read about Thursday Next? Very meta.

The real interesting implication of the power of writing and of language in general is the way in which we interact with our students. How are we helping children and adolescents to navigate their world, form their own identities and could writing help with that task? More importantly, as teachers, how will we choose to respond, support and encourage our students as writers? How does technology come into play when our students have access to tools that are banned in schools? Who is there to model positive uses of online tools? In my own mind, I'm a secret undercover change agent for helping to remake the educational institution into something relevant, something capable of actually producing thinking, productive world citizens ready to create changes of their own. Yeah, you can see how well THAT's going.

Laidlaw, L. (1998). Finding "real" lives: Writing and identity Language Arts, 75(2), 126-131.
Lankshear, C., & Knobel, M. (2006). New literacies: Everyday practices and classroom learning (2nd ed.) Open University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment